The "church hall" was actually the first Methodist Church and was built in 1852.
The current building was erected as a chapel by followers of the Wesleyan Denomination.
The foundation was laid on the 25th April 1888 by Mr J.H. Monger of Faversham House.
The opening took place on the 22nd August of the same year, the Rev Thomas Bird officiating, assisted by the Rev William Lowe.
It was built at a cost of 945 pounds which was raised by donations. The beautiful stone used in the building was donated and carted by some of the adherents. The first minister was the Rev John Smithies who came to York in 1852 to establish the church and a native mission.
The organ - a Monk organ - was purchased in 1895 by donations collected by
Miss Florence Monger and was hand-pumped until 1929 - when an electric blower was
installed. Mrs Vera Hardwick was organist for 50 years.